Fungal diseases that affect toenails and feet cause severe discomfort and can significantly impair a person's quality of life. In addition, nail fungus is characterized by a long and complex treatment process, when it is detected in the later stages.
However, it is easier and relatively simple to deal with if you start treatment in time when the first symptoms of a yeast infection first appear.Traditional medicine suggests the adoption of some recipes that can solve the problem of fungal development.
Iodine protects nail health
Having a protein structure, dermatophyte fungi parasitize on the nails, the skin of the feet and between the toes, and they feed on the horny scales of the skin and the keratin that is part of the nail plate.
Therefore, it is not surprising that the most popular remedy for the treatment of onychomycosis at home is an alcoholic solution of iodine. Iodine solution has a harmful effect on the structure of protein cells, destroying them; in addition, iodine is a fairly strong antiseptic and has pronounced fungicidal properties (resistance to mold formation).
Do not forget that iodine is a very active substance and, if handled improperly, can cause certain damages, such as chemical burns, etc.
The affordable price of iodine makes this drug attractive to consumers for the treatment of nail fungus, as well as for the purpose of prevention. It is worth remembering the rules that should be followed when using iodine solution for medical purposes.
Safety rules when working with iodine
- Treating the skin with iodine solution can cause irritation and allergic reactions.
reaction. Therefore, before you start using it, test the reaction of the skin by smearing the place on the bend of the elbow with iodine solution.
- Regular use of iodine solution strongly pigments the nail in a yellow color, which can be solved only by the growth of a new nail.
- If used incorrectly or if the permitted dose is exceeded, a chemical burn or inflammatory skin lesion (dermatitis) may occur.
- Treat only the affected nails and parts of the skin and only in the phase of primary symptoms.
Recipes based on iodine solution
- Recipe 1. An alcohol solution of iodine (5%) is applied one drop to each affected nail twice a day, in the morning and before going to bed, using a cotton swab for ease of application. For disease prevention, as well as for additional strengthening, you can apply the same solution, but in a smaller dose, to healthy nail plates.
- Recipe 2. The six-week course of treatment is divided into three phases of fourteen days each. During the course, infected skin and nail areas are treated alternately: Castellani liquid in the first two weeks, iodine solution in the second phase, vinegar solution (9%) in the last two weeks.
- Recipe 3. First, a solution is prepared, consisting of the following components: iodine, chloronitrophenol, vinegar essence, garlic juice, in equal parts, one teaspoon of each component. The infected nail should be treated with this solution every day before going to bed. The nail should first be scalded and the softened part removed. Before use, the medicinal mixture should be shaken.
When treating nails with any manicure accessories, remember: to avoid infection of healthy nails, the affected areas should be treated with special tools.
Treatment with copper sulfate
Copper sulfate, or copper sulfate among people, is most often used in addition to the traditional treatment of fungal infections. It occurs in the form of crystals, easily dissolves in water and is non-toxic. Two forms are applicable for treatment.
- Copper sulfate solution. It can be made at home. One teaspoon of copper sulfate crystals is dissolved in 1 liter of boiled water. The resulting solution is very concentrated, so it should be used in a diluted form for treatment: 1 tbsp. l. solution to 1. 5 liters of water. Using this solution, make ten-minute foot baths before treating the affected areas of the skin and nails with medicines recommended by the doctor.
- Copper sulfate ointment. Copper sulfate crystals are calcined on a hot surface until the color changes to gray or white. Then mix it with the other ingredients: yellow sulfur, tar or goose fat, one teaspoon each. The resulting ointment is used to treat painful nails daily until complete recovery.
Sea and table salt to treat fungal infections
Sea and common salt can be added to therapeutic foot baths. At the same time, the affected areas of the skin of the feet and nails are disinfected. As a rule, such antiseptic procedures are directed against infections that live on the skin and are needed to prepare the nails for the subsequent application of medicinal ointments on them.
Salt alone cannot cure fungi, but it is often used as an integral part of healing ointments and mixtures according to folk recipes.
For example, garlic water is very suitable against an advanced yeast infection; it is used to treat feet and affected nails twice a day. This water is easy to prepare at home. A minced clove of garlic is mixed with salt until a paste is obtained. The obtained mixture is dissolved in 200 ml of water. After the final cooling, melt another 4 tbsp. l. salt.
An unusual use of regular soda
- Recipe 1. Daily use of soap and soda baths will contribute to a better penetration of the medicinal components contained in the medicines directly into the lesions. This can often be difficult, as the affected nail is quite thick, grows quickly and has an anti-penetration effect, and soap and soda baths soften the nail plate. Mix 3 cups of baking soda and 3 tbsp. l. of grated soap, and then dissolve the resulting mixture in 7-10 liters of water. Feet float 20 minutes a day for 4-5 days.
- Recipe 2. A certain amount of baking soda is diluted with water to form a paste that covers the infected nail. A few minutes after applying the soda paste on the nail, add a little lemon juice. Then the mixture is removed, the nail is washed with soap and treated with antifungal agents. This medicine is also used only as adjunctive therapy.
Birch tar treatment process
Birch tar is a powerful medicine for treating all kinds of skin diseases. Therefore, you can treat your feet with natural birch tar. However, the feet are pre-prepared. Feet scalded in hot soapy water undergo subsequent treatment: the rough and affected skin on the feet is exfoliated, and the infected nails are trimmed. Then the already dry skin of the feet is lubricated with birch tar applied to a cotton swab with rubbing movements. You should not wear socks or shoes for the next hour and a half. Give the tar time to absorb into the skin.
Tar is no less effective as a treatment in fats or mixtures. You can prepare tar grease yourself, with a tar content of 5-10% in the first stages. You will need a rich nourishing cream or some kind of fat. Natural tar is added to the cream and everything is mixed well. The ointment is ready for use.
Another effective option for the treatment of fungi is sulfur-tar ointment, which consists of tar, powdered sulfur, a base in the form of a cream or ointment - in the ratio: 3: 2: 10, respectively. Apply a thin layer of ointment to the affected areas, let it dry and stick a patch over it.
The use of tar soap is useful for the prevention of any skin diseases, as it contains up to 12% pure tar and has antiseptic properties. Opt for handmade tar soap, the usefulness of which will be unquestionable.
Celandine for clean skin
Celandine is a poisonous plant whose juice is successfully used against fungal and other skin diseases.
- Celandine juice. Celandine juice is used to treat diseased areas of the skin and nails. The freshly squeezed juice is mixed with alcohol (70%) in a 1: 1 ratio and the infusion continues for the next 24 hours. The treatment process lasts about a week, treatments are carried out regularly 3-4 times a day on previously prepared nails and feet.
- Infusion of celandine. Add 100 g of dry celandine leaves to 1 liter of boiling water. After half an hour, the obtained infusion is added to the foot bath and the feet are steamed for 20 minutes a day.
- Grease. Celandine is part of the healing herbal ointment for fighting fungal infections. Add 5 drops of fresh celandine juice, 2 drops of oregano and 2 drops of pre-prepared calendula tincture to cooled boiled water (4 tablespoons). Treatment with such an ointment will last about 10 days, but the damaged areas should be treated at least three times a day.
- Celandine oil. You can use celandine oil, which is sold at any pharmacy, or make it yourself at home, although this process is quite labor intensive.
It is still better to use folk remedies for nail fungus in combination with traditional medicine - the effect will be stronger, and the treatment time until full recovery will be significantly reduced.